A vibrant economy with great job opportunities depends on the creation of new businesses. Mason contributes to the Washington, D.C. area's prosperity by providing the knowledge, tools, and services that startups need.
New businesses started through Virginia Small Business Development Centers from 2011 to 2015
Startup companies across Northern Virginia in Mason’s network of regional incubators
Corporate, non-profit, government and academic partnerships that the Virginia Serious Game Institute holds
Number of programs housed within Mason Enterprise Centers
Year the Virginia Serious Game Institute was founded on Mason's Science and Technology Campus.
Turn Your Idea into Reality
Owning your own company gives you control of your working life, the ability to make decisions quickly, and the flexibility to work when you want to and when you need to. You can determine and meet market demands, and develop products and services that make a difference in people's lives.
Mason wants to help you do that. We can:
- Provide mentorship in business skills.
- Refine a financial plan.
- Help position a product in the marketplace.
- Furnish temporary office space.
- Give guidance on doing business with the government.
Sean Mallon, associate vice president for entrepreneurship and Innovation, is working to expand the new business ecosystem at Mason by growing the university's entrepreneurship initiatives and developing our entrepreneurial footprint.
We're invested in your success. Small business start-ups have a cascading effect. The goods and services they provide drive demand for additional goods and services, benefiting the well-being of the overall economy.
Help for Everyone at Every Stage and Every Level
Mason wants to provide all entrepreneurs — students, faculty, staff, alumni, and members of the community — with the resources they need to create the next generation of innovative companies.
Whatever stage of development you're in — aspiring, experienced, or somewhere in between — we can help you get your business up and running.
Among our resources:
- The Mason Enterprise Center provides small business incubation and services, as well as small business program assistance.
- The Virginia Serious Game Institute provides training, certification, research and development assistance, emerging game company incubation, and rapid prototype development.
- The Mason Small Business Development Center provides more than 100 hours of monthly one-on-one counseling services to small businesses in Fairfax, Arlington, and Prince William Counties at no cost to clients.