Office of Technology Transfer
Sharing Knowledge to Make a Difference
Making a great discovery or coming up with a great idea is rewarding, but you want to do more. The Office of Technology Transfer (OTT) brings innovations developed through the university's academic pipeline to the marketplace.
The office manages the protection, marketing, and commercialization of all patentable intellectual property developed within the university, as well as copyrights and non-patentable intellectual property, such as software.
If you've made a discovery through research, developed a process, or created a service, OTT can help you:
- Protect inventions through the copyright and patenting process.
- Create a startup.
- License your creation to an existing company.
- Manage intellectual property development.
- Create strategic business partnerships with external stakeholders
- Identify commercially relevant technologies.
In exchange for the right to use and commercialize technologies, the university receives royalty payments. Mason distributes a portion of licensing income to the investigators and departments that created the technologies.
Forms you might need include: